Joseph Schmidt is a Consultant to the law firm. His practice encompasses all phases of intellectual property law, including patent prosecution, litigation support, patent licensing, trademarks and copyrights. Joseph has over 26 years of experience and has drafted and prosecuted hundreds of patent applications in the mechanical, electro-mechanical and electrical arts. He represents clients in a variety of technologies, and has particular expertise in the medical fields including vascular, orthopedic and minimally invasive instrumentation, as well as in home appliances, and personal care and grooming devices.
Joseph attended Virginia Polytechnic Institute where he earned a B.S. in Industrial Engineering with particular emphasis on manufacturing engineering. After graduating, he was employed by the U.S. government as an engineer. He subsequently entered law school at St John’s University. While studying law as a full-time student, Joseph was also a full-time firefighter for the City of New York.
- St. John’s University School of Law J.D., 1990
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Industrial Engineering, 1984
- State of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
Joseph is dedicated to providing clients with a high level of personal service and attention, and is committed to effectively combine his scientific and legal expertise to manage and counsel clients in optimizing the value of their intellectual property portfolios. Joseph has significant experience in intellectual property transactions, due diligence investigations, validity studies and clearance analyses, and the preparation of related opinion documents. He is also experienced in international patent law and worldwide patent prosecution including PCT, Canadian and EPO practice.
- Corporate IP Counsel 2015 on Non-Practicing Entities
- President of the Foundation Board of Developmental Disabilities Institute (DDI), Smithtown, N.Y.
- Member of the Agency Board of DDI
- Chairman of the Golf Committee of the Annual DDI Golf Classic